Another year and another set of results for John Lewis. The Bellwether of British retailing is most definitely John Lewis. So when the Chairman was interviewed on the BBC Today Programme this morning is made for fascinating listening.
Here are some of the golden nuggets I’ve picked up which could make a difference in your business.
Christmas sales now has 3 peaks
- Clearance – the weeks following Christmas
- The week before Christmas &
- Black Friday (Including Cyber Monday)
- Black Friday resulted decreased footfall in store and moved online.
- Black Friday orders were up meaning they processed 18% more orders on that one day.
- Mobile growth continues to be strong – sales from smartphones and tablets up 31%
- 50% of John Lewis’s sales come in the final quarter of the year.
- Shop sales up 16% the week after Christmas
- 35% of all online orders were collected in-store.
- Warm and damp weather meant more discounting.
- Fashion sales up 6%
- When a customer buys a Gift Voucher the recipient of the voucher spend on average 75% more than the value of the voucher.
- There is a real mix of shopping behaviours;
- Customer viewing instore and then buying online
- Customer just buying online
- Customer buying instore
- The Grocery market remains challenging with Waitrose reporting 4.1% increase in sales